This Privacy Notice only applies to Caltech’s collection, use, processing and retention of Personal Information of current, former and prospective guests and volunteers.
Collection of Personal Information
Caltech may collect Personal Information when you voluntarily provide it by applying to become a volunteer or guest, or throughout your lifetime as a Caltech guest or volunteer or from entities or individuals that you have requested or authorized to provide information.
The Personal Information that may be collected, includes but is not limited to:
- Contact information, such as name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and date of birth;
- Information relating to your degree program and school;
- Information collected from other guests, volunteers, faculty, or third parties about you;
- Emergency contact information;
- Sensitive information, such as gender; and
- Caltech identification number.
Purposes for which Information is Collected and Processed
The purpose for collecting your Personal Information, includes but is not limited to the following:
- Recruiting and/or admitting you as a guest or volunteer;
- Maintaining guest or volunteer records;
- Facilitating and promoting guest and volunteer services;
- Providing administrative functions and audits to ensure compliance with regulatory and legal obligations; and
- Preventing and detecting crime.
The collection of your Personal Information is necessary to execute a contract with you in order to process your request to become a guest or volunteer. We may use your Personal Information since it is necessary for our legitimate interest to perform our duties in carrying out our mission, business purposes, vision, values, policies, procedures, practices, and our Code of Conduct. Caltech may process your Personal Information to comply with legal obligations, for emergency medical purposes or when it is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests.
Recipients of Your Personal Information
For the purposes referred to in this Privacy Notice and relying on the bases for processing as set out above, we may share your Personal Information with certain third parties, such as to meet legal or regulatory obligations.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to meet the uses described above and in compliance with legal and business document retention requirements and policies.
Guests and Volunteers Located in the European Economic Area
Consistent with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation, this section applies to all guests and volunteers located in the European Economic Area, which consists of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, and Lichtenstein. Some of the Personal Information we process about you might be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area.
Guests and volunteers located in the European Economic Area are provided with the following rights:
- The right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data;
- The right to access your personal data;
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data under certain circumstances;
- The right to rectify any of your personal data that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- The right to request the deletion of your personal data;
- The right to restrict or limit the ways in which we process your personal data;
- The right to transfer or obtain a copy of your personal data in an easily accessible format;
- The right to withdraw consent;
- The right to withhold consent to automated individual decision-making processes; and
- The right to complain to a supervisory authority.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute. Caltech may be entitled to refuse requests where certain exceptions apply. Even where you have exercised one of the rights listed above with respect to your Personal Information, we may have the right to retain your Personal Information for various purposes, including compliance with legal obligations, for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, for archiving purposes in the public interest, for scientific or historical research purposes, for statistical purposes, or for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims.
To submit a request, please send an email message to email@example.com.
This Privacy Notice is not directed to children and we do not seek nor do we knowingly process Personal Information from children. When a guest or volunteer is classified as a child, we will make reasonable efforts to verify that consent is given or authorized by the holder of parental responsibility for the child where Personal Information of the child is to be processed.
Questions regarding this Privacy Notice should be referred to Caltech’s Director of Compliance, Tye Welch, who may be contacted at 626 395-8633 or firstname.lastname@example.org.